Monday, October 13, 2008

San Sebastián-Donostia

This past weekend I made my way up to the Basque country to visit a town called San Sebastián. SS is home to one of the most famous film festivals in Europe!! I think it takes place in September...so there weren't any famous people.

Anywho, I went with 7 of my friends (most of them with whom I went to Valencia).
San Sebastián is beautiful!!! I took lots of pretty pics. We took the bus there...it was an 8 hour ride but we took it Thursday night...slept through the ride so we would be ready to go Friday morning. We got to our hostel on Friday morning and rang the doorbell but no one was answering!!! so we just kept ringing it until finally we got in (about 15 minutes later) haha. Here's where San Sebastián is in comparison to Barcelona: (SS is right on the border of France and Spain...Barcelona is SE of it on the med. coast)


So once we got settled into our hostel friday, we took a nap and then ventured out. We sort of hiked/walked up a LOT of stairs to this mountain where we saw an amazing view of the beach and the city:


as well as an enormous statue of Jesus. The guy who was in charge of our hostel called the mountain the "jesus mountain" but that is NOT the real name of it! You can see pictures of the statue as well as many others here. The name of the album is very cleverly called San Sebastian. On the same mountain there was a FREE museum that had a lot of history of San Sebastian. Nothing TOO interesting. Mostly just wars..same old same old

My friends and I LOOOOOOOOOOve gelato so we got that both days we were there. This was a dog outside our gelato place....hahhaa



We didn't do anything AMAZING or see a lot of important places in SS. Part of it is there's not much to do or see in SS but we probably could have planned a little better. we had fun anyway. My friends are the besssstttt. Here's a picture of all of us in front of the beach the night we went out to eat.

Well I am exhauuuuusted! My classes today were kind of boring but I had the cutest substitute teacher for one of them so it ended on a good note. I was thinking about ditching that class too!!! good thing i didn't

i'm going to take a nap...hopefully i fall asleep. ernesto keeps singing "beautiful girls" which is a song that was popular about 2 years ago...he only knows the words "beautiful girls" and just makes noises for the rest of the words haha. i think it's funny but now that i think of it i do that to songs in spanish...darn it!

if you have time write me an email!
take care...jess

1 comment:

Manda said...

i'm soooooo jealous!!!!!! mom booked our tickets this week!!! i should have my passport soon and i am so excited i can't hardly contain myself!!! i love you and miss you lots!!!