Thursday, October 2, 2008

Raval

Hola todos!!!!

How is everyone?? I hope you are all doing well. I know it's hard, because the cubs lost yesterday...but don't give up on them!!!! I just called my mom, expecting her to be excited to hear from me but she sounded a little off. I said "wahts wrong?" and she's like "ehhhhhhhhhhh the cubs lost yesterday". YOU GUYS!!!! they're going to do it!!!! ANYTHING is possible in sports...don't forget about the world series between the yanks and the red sox when the red sox were down 3 games to 0. THEY WON 4 in a row!!!

Rumor is that a lot of my family was at yesterday's game...you have the right to be in a bad mood. But only you guys. And it needs to be gone by the time they play tonight!!!! GO CUBS GO!!

Okay so back to Spain. I started my volunteering on Tuesday and I LOVED it. It's basically an after-school program for kids in the Raval neighborhood of Barcelona. Depending on who you talk to, Raval is the "bad" part of Barcelona. I disagree with this, since you have to be careful wherever you go in a big city. Anyways, I got to the place I met all my co-workers and they seemed GREAT. They are all really friendly and they have common interests as I...pedagogy and making sure kids have a successful future. That comes with the nature of the work we're doing. I work mainly with Veronica, and we have a group of about 8 kids, who range from 3-5 years old. They are absolutely adorable!!! Veronica introduced me to one little girl, Maria, who IMMEDIATELY gave me a huge hug and we were best friends all Tuesday.

I think anything they do is histerical, so I'm really not good at keeping them in order (I think the language barrier could have something to do with it as well) but when we were eating snacks at the table, Veronica turned around and one kid, Adria (it's a boy), stole one of her crackers (very slyly...I was the only one who saw it). Then he turned to me and he gave me the biggest grin ever...it was so funny. Veronica never even noticed!!

There's also a little girl (don't remember her name) who is older than the kids in my group but I got to talk to her for a bit. She reminded me SO much of Kaylee because she was a chatterbox and kept singing! I felt like she was the Spanish kaylee! :)

Alright well I need to go pack for Portugal!!! I leave tonight!! I'm super excited and I hope to hear good news about the cubs when I get back!!!! PLEASE cheer them on for me!!!


Much love from Espana
xo, Jess

2 comments:

SarahD said...

Jes---
Ilove you!! Miss you al the time Had a great time ourlast nite atedens...big O !Ca m111111 81609304... m and ur sister an talk toyou!call me and e can call u back!!

Manda said...

wow... i just have a comment to sarahs comment!!! we went to wrigley last night to try to go to the game... i think we may have had too much to drink because that comment doesn't make ANY SENSE!!!! love you and miss you!!! :)